Wednesday 14 August 2013

Mein Gehirn tut weh...

Okay, so, back to updating this thing. Where do I begin?

I've just come back from a wonderfully relaxing 2 weeks in the Bahamas and Florida with my family. It was sunny, fun and incredibly relaxing. I thought I felt fully okay about the concept of moving abroad for the year...then I got home to an avalanche of emails asking me to print this, sign this, ask this, apply for this...
So, I guess I'm back to not quite knowing how I feel right now. One minute I'm so excited to go, I'm completely care-free, not worried about finding a place to live there and then, and fully assured that it will 'all work out in the end'. Five minutes later, there I am again on wggesucht, Donau Universitaet, google, anything which might give me hope that, somewhere, anywhere, in Austria has a room where I can live for 9 months. It won't even matter if I commute for an hour or so, I tell myself - when getting in to work for 7.45am is clearly going to be an issue even if I live next door... Then the calm comes again, and I wake up the next morning feeling sick with anxiety. So, with regards to accommodation, I think it's safe to say I'm a little on the nervous side...

Other than that, things are looking pretty good! I have had contact with a church who are asking around about accommodation for me, and a student group who have invited me to meet weekly with them for socials and prayer meetings. I've got visitors lined up for the entire year, I think this may be the only thing that is helping me keep my head above water right now. I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of paper-work, legal documents and general-life-worries. How do I open a bank account when my German can barely order me a Schnitzel, what about phones, I can't explain what I'm looking for in a contract in the o2 shop here! I hear so many great things about years abroad though, if everyone else can do it...it can't be that hard, right?

Then there's my main mentor, who hasn't replied to the initial email I sent 6 weeks ago - surely that isn't TOO uncommon though...I hope.

On the bright side, my thoughts on travelling are the same. I can't wait to just get out and explore the world. I'll be independent and earning for the first time, none of this living-on-student-loans rubbish. I will genuinely have money, and places to see, and I'm unbelievably excited for it!

Other than this, there isn't very much to report on. For the time being I'm working my way through child protection training, and watching Austrian news to try and remind myself what German actually sounds like. Oh goodness me, this is actually happening... less than 4 weeks to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment