Saturday 20 July 2013

Dirndls and Edelweiss?

Wow, so much has happened since I last updated this blog! It's difficult to know where to start when your head is a whirlwhind of paper-work, application forms, financial support forms, certificates of employment, emails, languages, teaching materials, flights, train tickets etc etc etc! So, I finally found out that I will be teaching in the most beautiful little town just outside of Vienna, called Krems an der Donau! I've been placed with pupils doing their Matura (A levels), aged up to 18 years. It's incredibly exciting to think that I'll be starting work in a couple of months! When British Council first assigned me my Bundesland I was disappointed that it wasn't my first choice. However, after being placed in such a cute little town I have fully forgiven them - I couldn't have chosen better myself!

The next step I took to building myself a (temporary) home out there is that I began my hunt for churches, and have found a couple which I'd like to try out. I'm almost more excited for that than I am to be teaching English! Having a church family where I am living is one of the most important things to me, they provide a support network and will encourage and help me, both spiritually and emotionally. God has provided me with the most amazing answer to prayer with regards to churches, but more on that as it progresses - I can hardly believe it myself!

Having nowhere to live yet is perhaps the most difficult thing of all. How can you possibly prepare yourself to go when you don't know where you'll be, or who you'll be with? However, I don't feel I need to worry - I'm trusting God with that one. Today I finally booked my flights, and will be spending 2 weeks getting settled before my induction course starts in Graz. I'm so blessed to have this opportunity to travel, regardless of how scary it currently seems!

Cultural assimilation is one of the aims of this year. Having never travelled to Austria, my knowledge is a little limited! Of course we all think of The Sound of Music, Dirndls and Coffee, right? But, what is the REAL Austria like? I'm spending every free minute I have researching every aspect of life in Austria - usually to very little avail! I guess I'll just have to wait for that one, too!

The reality of this experience is just starting to sink in. Leaving your family, friends and home comforts for a whole year to live in another country is a difficult thing to do. I don't know yet how it will feel, or how I will cope. I'm sure there will be a few tears nearer the time, but right now I'm trying to make the most of all the opportunities I get to visit friends and spend time with family.

I'll update the blog as more things happen - although now it just seems like a waiting game as my CRB check is processed and I wait to hear back about financial supports!

Adieu, Adieu, to you and you and you!

No comments:

Post a Comment